11. In late 1967, drummer Nick Mason invited Gilmour to join Pink Floyd to help counter some of Syd’s eccentricities. By 1978, David felt the band wasn’t using his musical abilities to their full potential so he made his self-titled solo album.
12. When David did his second solo album, 1984’s About Face, things were very tense with Roger Waters. He later admitted that he used the album to distance himself from Pink Floyd.
13. David has also spent time as a producer, sideman and concert sound engineer, working with the likes of Paul McCartney, Elton John, The Who, B.B. King, Bob Dylan, Peter Cetera and many others.
14. David can be heard on Bryan Ferry’s sixth album, 1985’s Boys and Girls. He was part of Ferry’s backing band at the time.
15. Gilmour has helped various charities, including donating millions in aid to the homeless. He’s also lent support to Oxfam, Greenpeace, Amnesty International, PETA and many other groups.